Information for Homestay Families
Our homestay families are a vital part of our school and provide our students with a real insight into New Zealand life and culture.
Information for our current homestay families
Are you hosting one of our teen students this June/July/August and are they doing our English Plus Activities programme?
- The activity buses usually arrive back at Unique between 4:30 and 5pm
- The first 3 weeks in July are very busy and the order of the activities might change each week for some students. This is because some activity providers can only host a certain number of students each day. Please check with your students or their advisor at the beginning of each week.
Would you like to become a homestay family for us?
Our homestay families also get the benefit of meeting people from different cultures and learning about these cultures. At Unique New Zealand we have a variety of students from all different walks of life and so we need a variety of homestay families too.
If you would like to become one of our homestay families you can download the homestay family application pack and police vetting forms. Please note, that if you would like to become a Unique New Zealand homestay family all members of the family must be able to speak English and at least one parent must be a native speaker. Please fill out the forms and then return them to us:
- Scan/email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post to PO Box 35-212, Browns Bay, 0753
- In person at 1 Clyde Road, Browns Bay
A few points to note before submitting your forms are:
- Every person living in your home (or someone who regularly stays overnight in your home) who is over 18 years of age must submit a police vetting form
- Being a homestay family should not be relied upon as a constant source of income. Students come for short or long stays and when one leaves we may not be able to place a student with you again immediately. Also, the homestay payment should be considered more of a reimbursement for costs associated with having an additional person in your family rather than an additional source of income.
- We are generally only able to accept homestay families who are within one bus stage of our school in Browns Bay. This is because students like to be able to easily get to and from school and to meet their friends at weekends and after school.
- Our peak demand periods for homestay families are: January, February, end of March/April, June, July, August, December