Frequently Asked Questions
How long will it take me to learn English?
Learning a language is a life-long activity. How long you need to study English all depends on your starting point, your goals and how hard you study. Students who do extra study after class and make an effort to use their new English skills outside of the classroom will learn faster than those who only use their English during class.
How many students will be in my class?
Unique New Zealand has a maximum class size of 12 students for adults and 14 students for teens/juniors.
Can I get a part time job while I'm studying English at Unique New Zealand?
Unique New Zealand is proud to be an NZQA Category 1 provider. This means that if you study with us and your course is 14 weeks or longer you are automatically granted the right to work part time when you apply for your student visa.
Where do the other Unique New Zealand students come from?
Every year Unique New Zealand has students from a wide variety of countries. We regularly have students from Saudi Arabia, Japan, China/Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, French Polynesia, Chile, Brazil, Colombia, Paraguay, and Russia.
Do I need to have Insurance?
Yes. It is a requirement under the NZQA's Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students that all students studying in New Zealand must have adequate health and travel insurance. You will not be allowed to study at Unique New Zealand if you do not have adequate insurance. Your student advisor will ask to see your insurance certificate on your first day. Unique New Zealand can arrange insurance for you at an extra cost.
How can I pay my fees?
All fees can be paid to the Public Trust bank account in the following ways:
Bank Account Number: 02 - 0536 - 0305865 - 01
Bank: Bank of New Zealand
Bank Branch Name: North End Branch, Wellington, New Zealand
Bank Address: 100 Lambton Quay, Wellington, New Zealand
Bank Account Name: Public Trust, Wellington, New Zealand
Swift Number: BKNZNZ22
When depositing fees, you will need to use Unique New Zealand’s PTE reference(9443401TR01) and to include the Student Reference on the Invoice on any remittance.
Fees can also be paid through Western Union Business Solutions. Check our Payments page for further information.
Unique New Zealand believes very strongly in protecting all monies received from students until such time as the students have completed their courses. In order to do this all students must comply with the following conditions:
- All students enrolling at Unique New Zealand will be sent a Public Trust Student Fee Trust Account Application Form which must be signed by the student (or student’s parent/legal guardian if the student is under 18 years) and returned to Unique New Zealand.
- If a signed Public Trust Application Form is not received and a student is Under 18 years old then by signing the enrolment form the student’s parent/legal guardian agrees to appoint Unique as their agent to sign the Public Trust Application Form on their behalf.
What kind of visa do I need to study at Unique New Zealand?
The best place to get this information is your closest New Zealand Embassy or consulate or you can check the most up-to-date visa information with Immigration New Zealand.
Unique New Zealand is an Immigration New Zealand Students Online provider. This means that once you are in New Zealand and meet certain conditions, Unique New Zealand can apply for your student visa using the Students Online system. This will save you time and money.
What happens if I have an accident or other kind of emergency while I am studying at Unique New Zealand?
On your first day at Unique New Zealand you will have an orientation session with your Student Advisor. They will give you their emergency mobile phone number so if you have an emergency you can phone them for help at any time.
How do I get to school from my homestay every day?
Your homestay will either be in walking distance (approximately 10-30 minutes) or a short bus ride (approximately 5-20 minutes) from Unique New Zealand.
What will happen on my first day at school?
Your homestay will show you how to get to Unique NZ on your first day
- Please come to reception in Campus 1: 1 Clyde Road, Browns Bay
- Please arrive between 8.30am and 9am
- A member of the Student Services team will take a copy of your passport, visa and insurance card/certificate
- They will then take you to do orientation
- After the orientation presentation, you will do a placement test and have an interview with the Academic Director or Senior Teacher
- A member of the Student Services team will give you an orientation pack and complete orientation with you.
- During orientation, we will tell you about:
- Life in New Zealand – information about NZ, NZ culture and lifestyle and living in a homestay
- Life at Unique New Zealand – class times, extra activities, rules & regulations, refund policy, discipline policy, complaints policy and fee protection policy
- Introduce you to other staff members at Unique New Zealand
- Show you around the Unique New Zealand building and Browns Bay
- Give you an opportunity to ask questions about anything you want to know or are worried about.
At 12pm, you can have your lunch.
If you are studying full-time, you can come back to reception in Campus 1 just before 1pm so that a member of the Student Services team can take you to your afternoon class.
If you are studying part-time, you can come back to reception in Campus 1 the next morning just before 9am so that a member of the Student Services team can take you to your morning class.
ON YOUR FIRST DAY PLEASE BRING WITH YOU:
- Your original passport and a copy of your visa (for online visas)
- Your insurance card/certificate (unless you have insurance organised by Unique New Zealand)
- A pen and a notebook
What can I do at the weekends or after school?
Unique New Zealand is a short bus ride from a large shopping mall and cinema complex. In Browns Bay there are many cafes and of course, the beach. Auckland City is approximately a 45 minute bus ride away or 25 minutes by car. If you want to travel to other parts of New Zealand there is a full time Student Services Manager who can give you lots of activities information and help you to book tours. After school there are regular sports and social activities. Check our Activities page